The Dog Art trail that led me to The Adirondacks

Searching for Dog Art on google I just stumbled across this gorgeous scene, no I agree, not dog art, but it does have a dog so it's ok in my book... Plus... the Adirondack chairs remind me of a favourite Aunt's home in Dee Why - they have a tender place in my childhood memories, well white ones do anyway... anyhow since I've been diverted from googling dog art, and while I'm on this picture... if you are after some bright Adirondacks you can find them at The Porch.

The Point - Image Credit Link

Adirondack chairs come from the gorgeous Adirondacks New York USA.

"The precursor to today's Adirondack chair was designed by Thomas Lee in 1903. He was on vacation in Westport, New York, in the Adirondack Mountains, and needed outdoor chairs for his summer home. He tested the first designs on his family. After arriving at a final design for the "Westport plank chair," Lee offered it to Harry Bunnell, a carpenter friend in Westport, who was in need of a winter income.

...Bunnell quickly realized the chair was the perfect item to sell to Westport's summer residents, and apparently without asking Lee's permission, Bunnell filed for and received patent 794,777 in 1905. Bunnell manufactured his plank chairs for the next twenty years. His "Westport chairs" were all signed and made of hemlock in green or medium dark brown" Quote from Wikipedia what did we do prior to Wikipedia?

Anyhow, where was I? Oh that's what I was getting to... I had thought that Adirondack was just a name the chairs were given I didn't know that they were named after The Adirondacks. I first saw The Adirondacks on a travel show and I've been wanting to go and visit ever since I saw a home that sits on a lake there... it's in my housesitter's dream list.


Image from Adirondack Dream Homes

If you'd like a little visualisation to add to your 'what would it be like to live here home musings' you might like to visit Adirondack Dream Homes